Sunday, March 22, 2009

Who's Listening?

Last night I had the privilege of seeing The Who perform live. Unlike my friends who are a bit older than me (and who claim that the Isle of Wight was their best concert ever) this is probably the only time I will see this influential band. For those of you who are (young?) unfamiliar with this band you probably know them as doing the theme songs for the CSI programmes. You guitarists might like to know that Pete Townshend was influential in the invention of the Marshall amp, apparently the fender wasn’t loud enough and so he used to wander down to the Marshall workshop and convince them to make it a bit louder!

The concert led me to ask is there any work that I do today that I would be proud to stand up and present in a stadium full of people in 39 years time? In today’s disposable world are we creating anything that will have longevity? In today’s hurried world do we thinking about the quality and influence of our work?
On the other hand is the plethora of reunion tours pandering to baby-boomers who are sentimentally clinging on to their misspent youth, and failing to move with the times?

How do we find the middle ground between moving toward a different future that allows each generation to express itself, and yet creating things of influence and worth?

Talk to me friends- What are you thinking?

Christina

No comments: